The Public Health Service (PHS) Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals (Policy), section IV.B.3., requires the IACUC to prepare and submit a report of their semiannual evaluation to the Institutional Official (IO).
You must include the following information in your report to the IO:
- Description of the nature and extent of the institutions adherence to the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals (Guide) and the PHS Policy. Including any departures and reason for each departure.
- Identification of any deficiencies in the program or facility. Including classification as either significant or minor and a reasonable and specific plan and schedule for correction.
- Minority views of the IACUC.
- Identification of facilities accredited by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC) .
- Signature of a majority of the IACUC members, if applicable.
We recommend that you also include a description of the program evaluation and facility inspection process, and results of the IACUCs findings, positive and negative.
The IACUC may determine the best means of conducting an evaluation of the institution's programs and facilities and is responsible for the evaluation and report. Final reports of the semiannual evaluations and inspections are considered full committee actions and should be reviewed and endorsed by a majority of the IACUC.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) also requires that the reports be reviewed and signed by a majority of the IACUC members. USDA regulations further require that the reports include any minority IACUC views. Any failure to adhere to the plan and schedule that result in a significant deficiency remaining uncorrected is required by USDA to be reported in writing within 15 business days by the IACUC, through the IO, to the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) and any Federal agency funding that activity.
We have developed this sample document to help you prepare the semiannual report to the IO. Specific instructions and information are provided in italicized text and should be deleted from the final document.
Semiannual reports should be submitted to OLAW only if requested, or if the institution is submitting a new or renewal Assurance and is not accredited by AAALAC International.
If you wish to use the sample semiannual report as a template, click one of the formats below to download.
Contact the Division of Assurances by phone at 301-496-7163 or e-mail email@example.com.